Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Running Outside

I'm a treadmill girl. I hate running outside. If someone offered a race ran entirely on a treadmill, I'd be first in line to sign up.

Running outside is scary. There are cars and dogs and bugs and heat and wind. My shoes get dirty. Birds dive bomb me. The sun burns the line on my head where I part my hair and creates the appearance of a knee brace on my leg even after I take it off.

There's no tv on Hwy 48. I have to listen to my Ipod thru my sweaty-ass headphones, instead of from the speakers on my treadmill. I don't have access to my Blackberry. In order to avoid starvation and dehydration, I have to pack my fuelbelt so full that the zipper threatens to break. (Don't call it a fannypack. It's not a fannypack.) The open road doesn't smell like the lemon air freshener in my gym - it smells like cowshit, rotten potatoes, dead animals, and car exhaust.

People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I only run outside for races. They are in awe when I talk about running 10, 13, even 16 miles on my trusty treadmill. I give them my spiel about the Scary Outdoors (cars/dogs/bugs/heat/wind) and tell myself that they understand.

Running outside is scary and should only be reserved for Race Day.

Happy Traks!

No comments:

Post a Comment